Thursday, May 2, 2013

East of the Sun West of the Moon

This is a character I made to be the protagonist in a series of paintings illustrating the fairytale "East of the Sun West of the Moon". There's a really cool part of the story where the little girl goes and talks to the four winds, (South, West, East & North). I was going to make each wind be personified by giant deistic birds. Each bird would be associated with species found in the direction in their name relative to Scandinavia, where I'd decided to place the story.
I had a lot of trouble designing the bird winds so I put the story on hold until I have no other ideas for painting series. This character is okay though. Everything is accurate to medieval Scandinavia.
Here's one of the birds. This one is an Albatross and would have been changed into the North Wind. Maybe with ice king powers. They would have been combined with Aristotle/Captain Power type "Stone; Fire; Ice; Wind" powers. Well one each. I have drawings where I've added icicles and snow to the bird but it looked dumb. Maybe I'll come back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment