Sunday, March 24, 2013

Night Field

  After painting the image of tiktaalik in university I found that a light source originating near the theoretical eye as if a camera flash was used gives a very visceral quality which I liked a lot.
  I wanted to paint an image of a night time landscape. Something about landscapes at night make me feel really calm. Although I'm not sure how successful this is with conveying that.
  During my time in Shiga Prefecture I'd take walks at different times of day along lake Biwa and I always liked the night scene there. Here's a digital image I painted of it first on nerd-BBS applets.

  Other people tell me the painting above makes them feel unnerved or uncomfortable which wasn't my intention, but I'm not disappointed by that.
  I'm guessing it was the position of the bird that gives this impression. Also the dark and drab colors.
Something to note is the bush just left and above of the bird looks like an egg. Not sure how it turned out like that but I also couldn't be bothered to fix it. Maybe it's a bird-egg simile that happened in my brains. This is one of the first paintings I did using oil pastels on top of oil paint. I wanted to create a certain effect and that was an easy way to do it.

  The hilly scene is an adaptation of an image I found of somewhere in Great Brittan. I forget where but I'm guessing it's in Yorkshire. Just I made it brown. I interspersed different colors and textures that make up the bulk of grassland so it gives the same effect of patchiness that I found in Colorado plains. I don't think I was extreme enough with it though because it still looks too homogenous.
  I didn't really want signs of humanity in the image after sketching the under-drawings a bit with buildings in the distance. I'm not sure why but it felt sort of intrusive. They were going to be around that clump of trees in the distance there.

  Also something interesting about it is when I had it in a show, lots of people called it, "the painting of a red bird." Now, the bird is the very important focal point but still a very very small portion of the whole painting. And it's not entirely red. Actually only it's belly is red and the most of it black and beak yellow. There are these little birds in Colorado who stand in lawns and mowed grass that look similar. The bird was initially going to be completely black but after the initial grisaille I tested a few colors on a photograph on the computer and decided red would look best. After those comments I'm thinking maybe black would have been better. The red dot might be too distracting.

Jesus! How long can I talk about this one dumb painting?? Booring amirite? Please disagree.

Stay tuned for more tomorrow!!!!!!1 Do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment